Are you planning a trip to Ireland? Ireland was voted the 18th most beautiful country in the world, beating out Vietnam and Croatia. It is a fantastic place for road trips, hiking, discovering castles, eating seafood, and drinking. But how long does it take to get there? In this blog, we will discuss how long it takes you to get to Ireland from all major cities in the USA. To help you plan your upcoming trip accordingly.
How Long is a Flight to Ireland
Please note that the times below are estimates because your exact times may vary depending on wind speeds and possible weather and equipment delays. If you’re planning a trip, remember to add more time for the plane to taxi between the gate and the airport runway.
All the times below add an extra 30 minutes for take-off and landing. Also, it assumes that the average flight speed for a commercial airliner is 500 mph (which is equivalent to 434 knots/805 km/h). The calculation of flight time is based on the straight line distance.
- Flying time from New York, NY to Ireland: 6 hours, 45 minutes
- Flying time from Louisiana (LA) to Ireland is: 9 hours, 6 minutes
- Flying time from California to Ireland is: 10 hours, 48 minutes
- Flying time from San Francisco, CA to Ireland is: 10 hours, 37 minutes
- Flying time from Denver, CO to Ireland is: 9 hours, 14 minutes
- Flying time from Dallas, TX to Ireland is: 9 hours, 19 minutes
- Flying time from Orlando, FL to Ireland is: 8 hours, 30 minutes
- Flying time from Detroit, MI to Ireland is: 7 hours, 20 minutes
What to know before you travel:
Double-check the expiration of your passport
Passport renewal in the US can take 8-11 weeks to process. If you select expedited service, you can trim that to 5-7 weeks. If it’s been a while since you checked your passport, check it now. Especially if you’re planning on flying in the next few months. If you have less than six months of validity left on the passport when you plan to travel, it’s time to renew. Even though the passport may not be expired, often countries will not allow you to enter if you don’t have a specified amount of validity left on your passport.
Check covid restrictions
Travel restrictions have loosened worldwide, especially in Europe where countries such as Ireland have dropped all COVID-19 entry restrictions at their borders. Meaning that vaccine certs and passenger locator forms are no longer required from passengers. However, some countries have requirements you need to meet, so make sure you double-check before you go.
When to book your airfare
Airfare to Europe in the Summer is usually more expensive as it is the most popular time to travel overseas. The schools are out, the weather is warmer and families and friends can travel together. If you can, travel outside of peak times if you’re looking for a cheaper trip.
Flexibility to cancel
Make sure you have the flexibility to cancel if you need to do so. The last few years have taught us that it is important to make sure we have insurance and the flexibility to cancel.
Write a packing list
Write a list of everything you will possibly need to pack. There’s nothing worse than getting on a plane and remembering you’ve forgotten something important e.g. medication, a phone charger, etc. Writing a list and ticking items off as you pack them will put your mind at ease during the flight.
Things to remember when traveling to Ireland
- Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, which means that you’ll have to cross a border to get there from the Republic of Ireland.
- Northern Ireland uses the Pound sterling, while the Republic of Ireland uses the Euro.
- Don’t forget travel insurance covering Ireland.
- Try not to spend your whole trip in Dublin.
- Visit the Cliffs of Moher early.
- Leave a 10-15% tip at a restaurant or pub.
- Rent a car if you want to experience the whole countryside.
Planning your trip ahead of time can put your mind at ease and therefore, help you enjoy your trip more. Even though you now know how long it will take to get to Ireland, you should always leave more time in case of traffic, delays, etc. Please note that travel times will vary depending on a variety of things so keep in mind that it might be longer or shorter. Book your trip to Ireland today and enjoy your holiday.